Pages

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

I Wish I Was Back in Vermont

...but since I can't have rivers and stars and maple croissants and mountains, I'll take Encouraging Writer Advice for $500.

Who's to say the short story writer has a novel in him? Is a sprinter accepted to the team on the condition that she will also run a marathon? Certainly many people do both, and some people do both well, but it always seems clear to me when a novelist has turned out a short story or a short story writer has stretched a piece into a novel. There are a handful of people who to my mind are equal in their talents, John Updike leading the list, but then John Updike could probably win a hundred-meter race as handily as he could run cross-country.

-Ann Patchett, Introduction to Best American Short Stories 2006

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are truly great.