Pages

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Childhood

My brother Sammy, the pirate.
 Today at work, we received a very official submission to Ladybug that said,

"I am six years old. I get your magazine in the mail and I like them. I create pomes too. Please publish my pomes in your magazine."

I think it goes without saying that the poems were BRILLIANT:


I See a Ship

Oh whats that I see?
A ship saling across the
sea. It is saling across
the waves to a new
land. Where would it be?
It is Mexico!!!!

Blanket

My blanket will
keep me warm
if I get
freezed from my
head and right
to my
toes.

Gosh...I wanna be six again. I love the big imagination of childhood. If anyone reading this is looking for parenting advice--THIS IS NOT THE PLACE FOR YOU. But if you insist on staying, I'll dole some out anyway, from the great vat of my experience: I think imagination is the most important thing to cultivate and indulge and preserve in a child. It breaks my heart how big-eyed, rambunctious, dreamy, faithful children can grow up into the people I see around me. 

If you'd like to resurrect the imp you used to be (and maybe you should. I know a lot of bad people, but I have yet to meet a bad child. Wait, I take that back. JACK WAS A BAD KID. I should tell you about him sometime), you've gotta read The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. I'm like 100 pages in and I'm already prepared to champion this book with the last drop of my heart's blood. Things you should know: Neil Gaiman wrote Coraline (which got turned into that amazing 3-D movie), and The Graveyard Book won the 2009 Newbery Medal (that's HUGE!) as well as the 2009 Hugo Award.

This book is fabulous. Where do I even start? You have to respect a children's--children's--author who starts his book with the phrase, "There was a hand in the darkness, and it held a knife." This book is the last word in imagination, and if you're a good homeschooler like me, and grew up saturated with Lord of the Rings, Chronicles of Narnia, Madeline L'Engle, and Lloyd Alexander, you'll read Gaiman like an old friend. That omniscient British narrative voice of his, the cleverness of his phrases, the insane and never-ending cast of characters, the INVENTION--oh my gosh. If you know a kid (or adult) who's reading the word vomit that some call Twilight, you have to give them this book. I DON'T CARE IF YOU HAVE TO JUMP OVER A BURNING BUILDING WHILE SHOOTING WEBS FROM YOUR WRIST-VEINS AND CARRYING FIVE SCREAMING NORWEGIAN ORPHANS. AND YOU'RE BLIND. Oh, the humanity! Just do it. It'll be like giving Smartwater to a yuppie who is dying of thirst in a desert. It may be the most humane thing you will ever do.

Seriously, the imagination does not get enough airtime in this crazy world we live in. There's not much that I respect more than an adult with a vivid, limber, imaginative mind.


The knife had a handle of polished black bone, and a blade finer and sharper than any razor. If it sliced you, you might not even know you had been cut, not immediately.

The knife had done almost everything it was brought to that house to do, and both the blade and the handle were wet.
-The Graveyard Book, Chapter One

1 comment:

  1. I will have to read that.

    RELATED NOTE: your little word cloud of tags or whatever makes me laugh a lot.

    ReplyDelete

You are truly great.