Pages

Friday, January 28, 2011

The Exploding Head

from here
The title of this post was taken from what happened to my head when I read this...thing. (It's not really an article...just a choppily-written extremely sketchy back-alley guru type thing.)

Basically, this thing presents two tools for "creative recovery" (or just creativity in general, I assume), and I think they're kind of freakishly brilliant. The first is "morning pages"--three pages of stream-of-consciousness writing, for your eyes only, first thing in the morning. Now, I've always been a fan of stream-of-consciousness writing. Many are the times I've tried to psychoanalyze myself/give myself intensive therapy via this type of writing. Yes, even when I was like 12. Firstborns are just screwy like that. Your average firstborn is way too self-aware and a little bit of a psychological hypochondriac. I'm no exception. OR AM I? But doing these pages first thing in the morning--that's so cool! It's kind of like keeping a dream journal. It seems like forcing three pages of simple thought out of yourself in the morning--especially if your mornings tend to look like mine--would lead to a crazy kind of day.

The second tool is "the Artist Date." At first I was like "HANG OUT MORE WITH YOUR ARTIST FRIENDS?!?!?! OKAY OKAY! ME! DRINK MORE GIN?!?! AND BE SMART?! IS THIS REAL LIFE?!" and then I woke up in a hospital bed. I had had an epileptic fit. It's nothing to laugh about. But then I kept reading about the artist date and it's uhhh like how do I put this THE MOST AWESOME THING IN THE WORLD!


The Artist Date is a once-weekly, festive, solo expedition to explore something that interests you. The Artist Date need not be overtly "artistic"-- think mischief more than mastery.

An excuse to roam around the city looking fabulous and spending money on yourself?! OKAY! My first artist date will be to Sephora to buy some Dior lipstick. Or maybe I'll steal it! That's mischievous!

No, but in a completely serious vein--does anyone want to do this with me? (Not together...but separately. Like the House of Representatives. [Did that simile work?]) We can keep each other inspired! Anyone? Chaaaaaarlieeeee? Meeeeeeeri? Chriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis? Liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiisa? Cheeeeeeeeeeeeelsea? Joaaaaaaaaaaaana? Maaaaaaaaaaaaaadeline? Roooooooooose? Aaaaaaaaaaashley? Jeeeeeeeeeenny? Pooooooooooets? Paaaaaaaaainters? Musiiiiiiiicians? Scuuuuuuuulptors? Noooooovelists? Hoooooobbyists? MacArthur Genius Grant Reciiiiiipients?

(You think that was obnoxsh? You should've heard it inside my head!)

2 comments:

  1. I would do this with you if I were an artist. :-P I am working on being one eventually maybe but I am not now.

    ReplyDelete

You are truly great.