Pages

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

In my dreams you walk dripping from a sea-journey on the highway across America in tears to the door of my cottage in the Western night.

Maybe I'm 99% over the Beat poets + lifestyle + vibe forever and ever. But I will always always love Howl. Despite James Franco's butchered interpretation. Despite the irritating way people think that banned books--or anything that ever suffered an obscenity trial--are somehow so much better than everything else. I will always love Howl. The first time I heard the first line was one of those moments when my little adolescent suburban-stifled soul exploded into a million piece. And I remember a really horrible moment in a college poetry class when I almost had a panic attack from the overwhelmingness of life in general (probably exacerbated by the cloying Romantic poetry we were reading), and I basically hypnotized myself back into submission by writing all the lines I could remember from Howl over and over and over. I still have that sheet of paper somewhere--it's a very grim visual. It'll probz be immortalized in a book when I'm dead.




This man doesn't like Ginsberg as much as I do (read: at all, I think). He likes the postmodernists. And I accuse him of being pretentious nearly every day. (Nothing says pretentious quite like that adorable face!!) But he's given me the kind of creative inspiration and rapport that I am just so blessed to have, and I don't know where I would be as a would-be writer, citizen of humanity, or person in general without him. We just celebrated our anniversary and I just want to take this moment to say HI BOO! I LOVE YOU!

1 comment:

  1. Very cute couple! Congrats on your anniversary!

    Also: He's right. Though I'm starting to become disillusioned with postmodernism the way I became disillusioned with Ginsberg. Too much of a good thing + not enough real explanations for why it's a good thing = seriously questioning everything.

    Also also: Love your boots. :)

    ReplyDelete

You are truly great.