Pages

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Traumatizing Moments From My Present, Volume Five: Death by Triscuit


 Last night, I faced Death. Greater men than me have gazed into her dead-white eyes and cowered, but I was not afraid. I sat on the beach under the glimmering moon and held my gasping mortality in my hands, which were coated with the dusky seasonings of Cracked Pepper & Olive Oil Triscuits.

Though the waves crashed upon the shore, disturbing the screaming gulls, my mind was elsewhere that night--turning over the same three thoughts, again and again:

1. Triscuits and cheese are so-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o good.
2. My stomach is stretched to capacity and if I continue eating them at this rate I will literally eat myself to death.
3. I DON'T CARE. I WILL EAT UNTIL I DIE.

And I was terrified--terrified at the metal of my own psyche, at my willingness to die for the causes I believed in. Thankfully I was distracted by a screaming girl who ran past me and threw a half-eaten apple into the lake. Then a mosquito got in my mouth so the rest of my night consisted of spitting violently.

3 comments:

  1. those things are sososo delicious--i can't even.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The worst part is, they're supposedly healthy...hence my allowing myself to buy them when I started my diet last week. But nothing is healthy in the quantities that one wants to eat Triscuit! (Except maybe watercress. But unless you're a swan, you don't want to eat that much watercress anyway.)

    As for my now-mostly-Triscuit diet, I am no thinner, but man, do those taste good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Madeline, I am HORRIFIED to learn that you, too, have succumbed to the madness that is the Nabisco Corporation. IF YOU CAN'T RESIST THEM, WHO CAN?

    ReplyDelete

You are truly great.