Pages

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Library Raid

According to the constructs set forth by the Chicago Public Library, I have slightly less than three weeks to read the following (renewals are for economics majors!):

Invitation to a Beheading - Nabokov
Pale Fire - Nabokov
Selected Writings - Ruben Dario
Selected Poems - Ruben Dario (it's different, okay?!)

and first up...

Hopscotch - Julio Cortazar (I'm already preparing myself to go crazy over this one--it's supposed to be so incredible)

Recently, I realized that I toooootally copy whoever I'm currently reading when I write, which is kind of embarrassing but predictable, I guess--and the last novel I read was a painful overblown overpoetic overconstructed thing by some biddy who shall remain nameless since I ACTUALLY MET HER TWICE.

Imagine my consternation when I found myself imitating her overly conceptual, twisted phrases.

So I'm running back into the arms of those I love best: badass English-as-a-second-language dudes from war-torn lands who knock it out of the ballpark every single time.

(I'm worried that I won't finish these books in time, though, because I'm currently held fast in the clutches of a novel by Candace Bushnell--author of Sex and the City--and I DON'T EVEN CARE.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are truly great.